Welcome

elcome to the Digital Meltd0wn Music Blog. The aim of this blog is to introduce the readers to music that is out of print, commercially unavailable, released under a creative commons license, or with approval by the featured artist. The majority of the music posted here would be considered underground. Don't let that fool you into thinking that the music featured here might be any less enjoyable than that of the mainstream artists you hear on the radio, as this couldn't be further from the truth. Please keep in mind that the majority of the artists that appear on this blog, along with their respective record labels, are not wealthy and need your support. If you enjoy the material that you find here, please support the artists/labels by purchasing their material afterwards. If you are an artist/label that would prefer to have your material removed from this blog, simply leave me a comment, and I would be more than happy to promptly remove the offending post. In addition to running this blog, I also work on a few other projects during my spare time. You can find links to those, as well as a few other important links associated with Digital Meltd0wn in the menu bar above.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Do the Pop! The Australian Garage-Rock Sound 1976-1987



Re-Up - Originally Posted 10/24/06


Do The Pop!, a spectacular double CD collection of Australian garage-rock from the ‘70s and ‘80s - easily one of Oz's most exciting musical periods. Two decades before The White Stripes and The Hives made ‘garage-rock’ the new buzz-word, numerous Australian bands were cranking out a raw, high-energy music which had all the elements that people are hot for today.

Inspired by two legendary punk-era bands, The Saints and Radio Birdman, Australia exploded in the late ‘70s with literally scores of bands who melded the wild sounds of classic ‘60s garage-rock and the Detroit rock action of the Stooges and the MC5 into a raw and powerful sound that was unlike anything else in the world.

Starting with three tracks apiece from The Saints and Radio Birdman, Do The Pop! includes essential tracks – often two or three per band - from every key band that followed their path including The Hoodoo Gurus, Died Pretty, The Lipstick Killers, The Sunnyboys, The Scientists, The Lime Spiders, The Screaming Tribesmen, The Hard-Ons, The Celibate Rifles, The New Christs, The Eastern Dark, The Exploding White Mice, The Stems and more. Included also are tracks from The Victims, Hoodoo Guru Dave Faulkner’s band from ’77, and The Fun Things, Guru Brad Shepherd’s first band from 1980.

Track List:
CD 1
1. The Saints - (I'm) Stranded
2. Radio Birdman - New Race
3. The Psycho Surgeons - Wild Weekend
4. The Saints - One Way Street
5. The Victims - Television Addict
6. Radio Birdman - Aloha Steve and Danno
7. Johnny Kannis - King of the Surf
8. Radio Birdman - Crying Sun
9. The Hitmen - Didn't Tell The Man
10. The Lipstick Killers - Hindu Gods of Love
11. The Visitors - Living World
12. The Passengers - Face With No Name
13. The Saints - Simple Love
14. The Scientists - Last Night
15. The Fun Things - Savage
16. Sunnyboys - Alone With You
17. The New Christs - Face A New God
18. New Race - Alone in the Endzone
19. The Hitmen - I Don't Mind
20. The Celibate Rifles - 24 Hours (SOS)
21. Sunnyboys - Happy Man
22. The Lipstick Killers - Driving The Special Dead
23. The Hoodoo Gurus - Lellani
24. The Hitmen - Dwana Devil
25. Minutemen - Voodoo Slaves

CD2
26. The Scientists - Swampland
27. The Lime Spiders - 25th Hour
28. The Screaming Tribesmen - Igloo
29. The Hoodoo Gurus - Be My Cure
30. The Lime Spiders - Slave Girl
31. The New Christs - Like A Curse
32. Died Pretty - Mirror Blues Pt. 1
33. The Screaming Tribesmen - Ice
34. Decline of the Reptiles - Don't Look Down
35. The Eastern Dark - Johnny and Dee Dee
36. The Exploding White Mice - Burning Red
37. The Hard-Ons - Bye Bye Girl
38. The Psychotic Turnbuckles - Groove to the Eye
39. The Lime Spiders - Out of Control
40. The Scientists - Atom Bomb Baby
41. The Stems - Can't Resist
42. Died Pretty - Stoneage Cinderella
43. The Some Loves - Don't Talk About Us
44. The Hard-Ons - Girl In The Sweater
45. The Eastern Dark - Walking
46. The Celibate Rifles - Back In The Red
47. The Ohilistines - Early Morning Memory
48. The Headstones - When You're Down
49. The Stems - At First Sight
50. The New Christs - I Swear

Download: Do the Pop! CD1 (106MB)
Download: Do the Pop! CD2 (105MB)


Note: A few of you pointed out the fact that Disc 1 was missing tracks. I reuploaded it, along with Vol. 2, but for some odd reason blogger didn't save the changes I made to the post. I have reuploaded Disc 1 once again, and all of the tracks are intact. I apologize for the inconvenience.

24 comments:

Slobodan Burgher said...

Pretty cool collection of stuff there...you know what that means!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Great blog ! Good stuff !
Thanks for all.
Jean-Louis from France

Zer0_II said...

zumpp99: Nothing is broken my friend. I am in the process of uploading the album right now. It should be finished in a few minutes. I tried uploading it this morning before I had to go to work, but I ran out of time (I can't afford to leave my computer on while I'm gone), which is why the 'Upload in Progress' message has been up all day.

Anonymous said...

Could you post some more Bauhus? Thanks. I'm loving this blog.

Really digging the Screamin' Lord Sutch

Anonymous said...

DTP is way too cool,f*ck yeah!

Zer0_II said...

Anonymous: Which Bauhaus albums in particular are you looking for?

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog. Dying to get my hands on this album, but every time I try and download a file it comes up as a text file (rar.txt). Anyone know anything I don't know?

RYP said...

as cool as "Take Everything - Leave Nothing" (CITADEL REC. Australia)

thanks a lot!
cheers

Zer0_II said...

caseyjones: I have no idea what might be causing your problem. All of the rar files that I upload include a folder with the album in it, and a text file, which includes information about this blog. To my knowledge everyone else has been able to download this album and others without a problem.

ryp: I've been having a lot of trouble finding artists from the Citadel label. I was trying to find some stuff by the New Christs, Lime Spiders, Died Pretty etc, but haven't had much luck. Do you know where I might be able to find the compilation that you mentioned, as well as other Citadel releases?

Anonymous said...

I managed to download from Firefox. Seems there's a problem with Gigasize and Safari (which is the browser I normally use). Loving the Dirtbombs album.

Anonymous said...

Re the .txt extension on the end of your downloaded files...this is a quirk of your browser.Just delete that part, leaving the ".rar" and you're good to go.

If anyone's looking for Citadel stuff, go straight to the souce:

http://www.citadel-records.com

"Take Everything, leave Nothing" is unlikely to be re-issued though...

Great blog, really well-considered commentary.

Ego Kornus said...

I am already curious how this comes out. the meltdown in my brain of australian music. i knew already a few but i guess the more obscure i missed in europe were i was in that time.
gracias for posting!!

Zer0_II said...

I can't think of how it would even be possible for those tracks to go missing. They were all compressed into a rar archive before uploading. There isn't a way for a select number of tracks to just disappear out of the archive. You should try downloading and extracting the archive again.

Anonymous said...

THANKS

Anonymous said...

thanks for all.

skids said...

Nice variety of Aussie Rock ... keep up the good work Zer0_II

Anonymous said...

Can you reup the missing tracks please.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

The Gigasize link of Part 2 is dead!! Please repost.
Thanx

Anonymous said...

part 2 is dead


:(

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this music. Martin from Canada.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Zero_II...why not send me a copy of that text file about the blog and I will begin including it in my uploads, as well.

I am working on an upload of Bauhaus ~rest in peace~...the "final concert" from 1983, as we speak.

Great work everyone did on the Halloween postings! Unfortunately, I have still been fighting my way through computer, job and health issues and wasn't able to participate as much as I would have liked.

++stay cool++

Zer0_II said...

@Psycho Cat: I'll send you that file you requested via e-mail. I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. I hope that your situation improves soon. I might be able to help with your computer issue, depending on what it is. I'll ask you about it in the e-mail though.

Raso said...

Just wanted to mention that the CD1 download is missing tracks #2, #10, #13, #16, #22, #23

Thanks for the great blog

Anonymous said...

Great collection - thanks for posting. Takes me to 14yrs old listening to vinyl versions of Lime Spiders and Radio Birdman in a mates back shed. Any chance of getting hold of some Scientists?