Welcome

elcome to the Digital Meltd0wn Music Blog. The aim of this blog is to introduce the readers to music that is out of print, commercially unavailable, released under a creative commons license, or with approval by the featured artist. The majority of the music posted here would be considered underground. Don't let that fool you into thinking that the music featured here might be any less enjoyable than that of the mainstream artists you hear on the radio, as this couldn't be further from the truth. Please keep in mind that the majority of the artists that appear on this blog, along with their respective record labels, are not wealthy and need your support. If you enjoy the material that you find here, please support the artists/labels by purchasing their material afterwards. If you are an artist/label that would prefer to have your material removed from this blog, simply leave me a comment, and I would be more than happy to promptly remove the offending post. In addition to running this blog, I also work on a few other projects during my spare time. You can find links to those, as well as a few other important links associated with Digital Meltd0wn in the menu bar above.

Friday, May 09, 2008

Birth Control- Hoodoo Man





Often when one thinks of the Krautrock phenomenon that took off in the 1970s, bands like Tangerine Dream, Can, Neu!, and Kraftwerk come to mind. Often forgotten in the wave of those bands is Birth Control. Formed in Berlin, Germany in 1969, Birth Control has been described as a Krautrock, progressive rock band but this band had a harder edge and more of a jazz influence than most progressive rock bands of their era. I believe Birth Control's first three albums are essential buys for any fan of progressive rock or Krautrock, but I have chosen to spotlight "Hoodoo Man."

Released in 1972, Hoodoo Man, immediately attracts attention by its unusual cover art, which had been a running theme for Birth Control up until this point. If the cover art is not enough of a signal to what Birth Control is about, the first track, "Buy!" offers up an immediate glimpse into their serious with a light-hearted spin subject matter.

Tracks "Buy!," "Get Down on Your Fate, and "Gamma Ray," the band's biggest hit, are album highlights. With only 6 tracks, it is all killer and no filler. Do not let this great piece of progressive rock continue to go underrated. Enjoy!

Year of Release: 1972
Genre: Krautrock, Progressive Rock
Label: CBS

Track List

1. Buy!
2. Suicide
3. Get Down to Your Fate
4. Gamma Ray
5. Hoodoo Man
6. Kaulstoss

Download: Birth Control- Hoodoo Man
Download Size: 77.18 MB

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Some pretty interesting things you've been posting up, it looks like.
I'm totally clueless on Krautrock, but am always up for expanding my knowledge, so Im'ma gonna DL this one and give it a whirl!
Thanks! and keep up the good posts!

Zer0_II said...

This is great stuff. My knowledge of Krautrock doesn't extend very far either, but the majority of what I've heard has been great stuff. Thanks for introducing me something new.

Ally said...

Thanks. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think.

Ally said...

@Zero..I'm glad you are enjoying it. I have been unsure of what to try and not to try with this audience. I expect results will be hit or miss.

Unknown said...

Well! Not what I was expecting at all!
At various points it had me thinking of Lynard Skynard, Queen, Zappa, and a whole bunch else-stuff...
I can't say I'll be listening to this one too much, but I'll give it a couple more go-rounds just to be sure. Seems like it could be a 'grower'.
Nice to have in the arsenal, though, so Thanks! again.

Ally said...

@Matt...Skynyrd? Really? That's an odd comparison, but I hope it grows on you. :)

Anonymous said...

ha.... bought this one decades ago (on true virgin vinyl). sounded pretty convincing 30+ years ago. (tim es are changin' tho'...)

Anonymous said...

I have New Deutche Vol. 2, and that is awesome krautrock album, and it shows quite wide group of german pre new wave bands. I can really recommend that.

Zer0_II said...

Anonymous: Would you be willing to upload New Deutche Vol. 2 for us?

Unknown said...

i like your's blogs.