Welcome

elcome to the Digital Meltd0wn Music Blog. The aim of this blog is to introduce the readers to music that is out of print, commercially unavailable, released under a creative commons license, or with approval by the featured artist. The majority of the music posted here would be considered underground. Don't let that fool you into thinking that the music featured here might be any less enjoyable than that of the mainstream artists you hear on the radio, as this couldn't be further from the truth. Please keep in mind that the majority of the artists that appear on this blog, along with their respective record labels, are not wealthy and need your support. If you enjoy the material that you find here, please support the artists/labels by purchasing their material afterwards. If you are an artist/label that would prefer to have your material removed from this blog, simply leave me a comment, and I would be more than happy to promptly remove the offending post. In addition to running this blog, I also work on a few other projects during my spare time. You can find links to those, as well as a few other important links associated with Digital Meltd0wn in the menu bar above.

Friday, July 16, 2010

Idiot Flesh - Tales Of Instant Knowledge And Sure Death


Idiot Flesh was a band formed in Oakland, CA in 1985 under the name Acid Rain. They made their debut with the demo album "We Were All Very Worried" which was released on tape only in 1987. They changed their name to Idiot Flesh prior to the release of their first album.

Their first album entitled "Tales of Instant Knowledge and Sure Death" came out in 1990, three years after their impressive demo cassette which didn't featured that really elfish atmosphere which was present in their 1990 release. The lyrical and musical world of Idiot Flesh is truly an absurd and playful panorama of the theatres and circuses. These jugglers really knew how to entertain the abstract senses of the abstract public. During concerts they were giving puppet and pantomime shows beside acrobatic attractions as well. They also played on various strange instruments (castanets, marimba,..) including household items like trash cans, saws, etc. The album is a catchy avant-garde rock masterpiece with morphing bass vibrancies, funky guitar rhythms and the harmony of classical instruments. The atmosphere of the album is full of musical gags and playful melodies often resulting in comical pictures.

After the group disbanded in 1998, the members of Idiot Flesh would go on to work on solo projects or join other bands, most notably Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

Year of Release: 1990
Label: Vaccination Records
Genre: Experimental/Progressive/Avant-Garde
Bitrate: 192kbps

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, this is very interesting. I've heard Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and this is definately in the same ballpark. I hear a lot of Beefheart/Zappa influences. The feedback on the last track reminds me of FZ's Weasels Ripped My Flesh.
I also checked out Purple Image but I wasn't impressed. I would describe it as mediocre rock/soul. I was kinda hoping it would be more like Parliament/Funkadelic.
Keep up the good work!
Titus

Zer0_II said...

Thanks for the feedback Titus. I would be interested to hear more of your thoughts on the material I choose to upload. I'm glad you enjoyed Idiot Flesh, but I'm disappointed that Purple Image failed to impress. To each his own I suppose.. Take care.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this album. I'm in need of both Fancy and Teen Devil Worshipper. I would greatly appreciate an upload if you own either.

thanks,
karl

Ploni said...

http://alltimegreatesthits.blogspot.com/search/label/Idiot%20Flesh

you will find it

Anonymous said...

MY friend The Link now are death-502 Bad Gateway., Gracias.

Zer0_II said...

Anonymous: Thank you for notifying me that the link was dead. I've re-uploaded it for you and anyone else who might be interested.