Welcome

elcome to the Digital Meltd0wn Music Blog. The aim of this blog is to introduce the readers to music that is out of print, commercially unavailable, released under a creative commons license, or with approval by the featured artist. The majority of the music posted here would be considered underground. Don't let that fool you into thinking that the music featured here might be any less enjoyable than that of the mainstream artists you hear on the radio, as this couldn't be further from the truth. Please keep in mind that the majority of the artists that appear on this blog, along with their respective record labels, are not wealthy and need your support. If you enjoy the material that you find here, please support the artists/labels by purchasing their material afterwards. If you are an artist/label that would prefer to have your material removed from this blog, simply leave me a comment, and I would be more than happy to promptly remove the offending post. In addition to running this blog, I also work on a few other projects during my spare time. You can find links to those, as well as a few other important links associated with Digital Meltd0wn in the menu bar above.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Electric Prunes - I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night)


I've uploaded and posted all of the albums by the Electric Prunes that I know to exist, with the exception of 'Songs in F Minor'. If you would like for me to upload it, or know of any other prunes albums, please leave a comment.

Although they've almost been completely lost in the shuffle of popular music, the Electric Prunes are still remembered (in some circles, anyway) for their classic mid sixties single, "I Had too Much to Dream (Last Night)." This 1967 album consists of that song and 11 others, and it makes for a decent slice of psychedelic rock and roll-ery. At thier best, the Prunes rock: The afformentioned title track is a reverb-soaked psych-pop masterpiece, complete with shimmering guitars, a rousing chorus, and some wistful, haunted vocals. The album's other single, "Get Me to the World on Time," is a rumbling raver with a thumping Bo Diddley beat and an infectious rush of melody. "Try Me On For Size" is a garage rock classic, the snarled vocals dripping with salivating machismo, while the guitars crunch out pure innuendo. "Train For Tomorrow" is an eerie, smoky psychedelic tune, while "Onie" is a surprisingly wistful ballad. "Luvin'" is a fun, if un-spectacular, blues rocker.

The Prunes were a fine group, but there are much better representations oftheir sound than this album. I reccomend picking up their superb live album, Stockholm 67, which I have already posted (check the archive) and features a rendition of "I Had too Much to Dream" that positively smokes the version found here.

Overall, if you're interested in mid-sixties rock, you should have this album in your collection, but be sure to pick up the Stockholm first.

Track List:
1. I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night)
2. Bangles
3. Onie
4. Are You Lovin' Me More (But Enjoy It Less)
5. Train For Tomorrow
6. Sold To The Highest Bidder
7. Get Me To The World On Time
8. About A Quarter To Nine
9. The King Is In The Counting House
10. Luvin
11. Try Me On For Size
12. The Toonerville Trolley
13. Ain't It Hard
14. Little Oliver

Download: Electric Prunes - I Had Too Much To Dream (36.8MB)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree about the Live in Stockholm album.

Anonymous said...

I have heard that "Songs in F minor" was a little weird but much interesting so I think uloading it would be great... (Thank you for all this good music!!!)

Anonymous said...

all I got when I downloaded this was a txt
file with a lot of goobly gook?
any idea why?

Mr. Trashe said...

i`m mexican im a rocknroll music fan, is very important replace at the market, the music never been made a mercancy, the music is for share.

great blog, the underground music rules! fuck mediocre bands & mediocre music.

Johnny Graveyard, visit my blog (mexican rock n roll & more)
and enjoy too
http://desdelcementerio.blogspot.com

Zer0_II said...

To bison velu: I'll add "Songs in F Minor" to my upload list. Just keep an eye out for it.

Anonymous: I re-checked the rar file to make sure that I included the album, and didn't accidently just upload a text file. Everything was fine on my end, so I'm guessing that you must have somehow overlooked the folder when you extracted the rar archive.

Johnny Graveyard: Thanks for your comments, and the link to your blog also. You have some nice music posted there. I may add your blog to my links list in the near future.

Anonymous said...

the file downloads as .rar.txt file
and appears just as a text file
really weird and
its unusual

Anonymous said...

never mind thanks I got
just had to put the file into the expander

Anonymous said...

Has anyone come across their 2 new recordings: Artifact (2001), California (2004)? I've read good reviews but haven't heard any of the tracks.