Welcome

elcome to the Digital Meltd0wn Music Blog. The aim of this blog is to introduce the readers to music that is out of print, commercially unavailable, released under a creative commons license, or with approval by the featured artist. The majority of the music posted here would be considered underground. Don't let that fool you into thinking that the music featured here might be any less enjoyable than that of the mainstream artists you hear on the radio, as this couldn't be further from the truth. Please keep in mind that the majority of the artists that appear on this blog, along with their respective record labels, are not wealthy and need your support. If you enjoy the material that you find here, please support the artists/labels by purchasing their material afterwards. If you are an artist/label that would prefer to have your material removed from this blog, simply leave me a comment, and I would be more than happy to promptly remove the offending post. In addition to running this blog, I also work on a few other projects during my spare time. You can find links to those, as well as a few other important links associated with Digital Meltd0wn in the menu bar above.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Distorted Pony - Instant Winner


Guitarist David U. and bass-player Dora Jahr first played as Distorted Pony in 1986. They later added drummer Theodore Jackson and noise-guitarist Robert Hammer. Steve Albini recorded their two albums of angst-metal, Punishment (1992) and Instant Winner (1994).

Instant Winner put a stamp on the recording career of the resoundingly original Distorted Pony, a groundbreaking band from California in the late '80s and early '90s. Surprisingly, this postmortem collection of songs is the most cohesive of the band's recording career. Highlights include the stirring focus of "Lamb Stink" and "Big Sprawling Corrupt," with a focus on Dora Jahr's wrenching vocals. The band's penchant for dissonance continued, and the feedback and blistering guitars, bass and drums add up to a brilliant and encapsulating wall of sound. Trance Syndicate Records unveiled the band's final creation in 1994.
(Year of Release: 1994)

Track List:
1. Dept. Of Existence
2. Smitten
3. Lamb Stink
4. Big Sprawling Corrupt
5. Dollar Pizza
6. Slow Leak
7. Go Kart
8. Sparkle
9. Cripple
10. Fifty Cent Pizza
11. A Fine View From The Temple

Download: Distorted Pony - Instant Winner (114MB)

11 comments:

herrsatan said...

Holyfuckenshit!!

I own a retail copy of this and thought nobody else had even heard of them!

Do you by-chance have the other album?
I've never heard it, and would like to add it to my 'All Things Albini' collection...

YouDaMan.

Anonymous said...

I've got "Punishment"... but the CD is "jumping" (I don't know the right word in french) in the middle, on 2 or 3 songs. But I'll see if I can rip it. I'll try.

I was mad about that record at the time ;)

Zer0_II said...

herrsatan:
I don't have Punishment at the moment, but I'll do my best to find it, and post it here when I do.

le jeune extreme:
Try ripping your CD using CDex. I once ripped a CD that had been broken completely in half using it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, another fantastic album. They remind me of Slug more than anything else, and that could just be an LA thing?
This shit rocks, beautifully sonic, straight forward and solid.
Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Never heard of this band before... lemme give them a try!

ian said...

that's funny, i've just began a music blog this week and "Instant Winner" wa my first blog.
by the way i really like your blog.
thanx for all the stuff you share with us!

herrsatan said...

Does ian have the 2nd album?

herrsatan said...

I've never heard of 'Slug'?
These guys always reminded me of Hitting Birth
(Seattle band, I think)

Hey!
If you guys dig Distorted Pony; you might like A MINOR FORREST.
It's also recorded by Steve Albini.
If you go here:
http://avaxsphere.com/music
and click the 'Steve Albini' cat on the left, it'll come up.

ian said...

hi,

yeah I post "Punishment Room" on my blog today
http://sharkfinblog.blogspot.com/

cheers!

logo said...

link's dead. any chance you could re-up this album, please? cheers!

Zer0_II said...

logo

I have re-upped this file. Hope you enjoy.