Welcome

elcome to the Digital Meltd0wn Music Blog. The aim of this blog is to introduce the readers to music that is out of print, commercially unavailable, released under a creative commons license, or with approval by the featured artist. The majority of the music posted here would be considered underground. Don't let that fool you into thinking that the music featured here might be any less enjoyable than that of the mainstream artists you hear on the radio, as this couldn't be further from the truth. Please keep in mind that the majority of the artists that appear on this blog, along with their respective record labels, are not wealthy and need your support. If you enjoy the material that you find here, please support the artists/labels by purchasing their material afterwards. If you are an artist/label that would prefer to have your material removed from this blog, simply leave me a comment, and I would be more than happy to promptly remove the offending post. In addition to running this blog, I also work on a few other projects during my spare time. You can find links to those, as well as a few other important links associated with Digital Meltd0wn in the menu bar above.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Anton LaVey - Strange Music EP


I posted this one a while back on my Nitegaunt Media blog but I thought it would be relevant to the Halloween Countd0wn so here it is again! From the original post:

Found this 10" e.p. back in 1994 in a record store in San Francisco. I believe it had just come out and I can't a resist the novelty of a 10 inch record (not to mention one featuring someone like this) so I grabbed it. Years later I found myself in need of a record needle and unable to play my vinyl. I had a friend of mine rip some singles and this e.p. to a disc for me so I could listen to them. That was probably seven years ago and yesterday I found the disc so I decided to upload this. Looking around on the net, I could hardly even find a reference to this record so I figure it's still very obscure even in the days when you can find just about anything on blogs and forums. So here you go! As the title of the e.p. suggests, this is indeed some "Strange Music". Anton LaVey, founder of the "Church of Satan" recored these versions of early 20th century standards and rarities using vintage organs and keyboard instruments. As I understand it from the liner notes he plays all the instruments in the recordings and all were done without overdubs. It's kind of amazing really. Most of the tracks are instrumentals with only two of them featuring vocals by his then wife, Blanche Barton. There is definitely an eerie quality to the music, especially the version of "Gloomy Sunday" (the famous song that caused a suicide craze/scare when it was originally released in the1930's. The Wikipedia article on it is an interesting read. Anyway, since I've not been able to revamp this blog as of yet I thought I would post a couple of things in the meantime that kind of fit with the theme and this one certainly does. Maybe some of the earliest examples of "death rock" by one of the most infamous people of the last century.

Track List:
1. Thanks For The Memory
2. Strange Music
3. Temptation
4. Start The Day Right (vocal by Blanche Barton)
5. One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)
6. The Year Of Jubilo
7. Gloomy Sunday (vocal by Blanche Barton)

Download: Anton LaVey - Strange Music EP
Download Size: 33MB

7 comments:

francisco s. said...

how can i get this?

Zer0_II said...

You forgot to post the link to download the album :)

Zer0_II said...

nevermind.. I added it for you.

AllyWonderland said...

I'm picking this up. Thanks. :)

Psyche Zenobia said...

Oops, sorry bout that Michael. I guess I was in a hurry and forgot the link.

Anonymous said...

(just sent a previous comment re: rapidshare site problem- that was just an FYI)...

I neglected of course to say Big Thanks for all your shares. This is stuff I don't believe we'd ever find elsewhere :-)

Anonymous said...

Anton LaVey was a former police photographer in Chicago. He died in an L.A. flophouse after his wife cleaned him out, took the church and tossed him to the curb. Guess that spell to turn bullshit into gold didn't quite work for him :)