Welcome

elcome to the Digital Meltd0wn Music Blog. The aim of this blog is to introduce the readers to music that is out of print, commercially unavailable, released under a creative commons license, or with approval by the featured artist. The majority of the music posted here would be considered underground. Don't let that fool you into thinking that the music featured here might be any less enjoyable than that of the mainstream artists you hear on the radio, as this couldn't be further from the truth. Please keep in mind that the majority of the artists that appear on this blog, along with their respective record labels, are not wealthy and need your support. If you enjoy the material that you find here, please support the artists/labels by purchasing their material afterwards. If you are an artist/label that would prefer to have your material removed from this blog, simply leave me a comment, and I would be more than happy to promptly remove the offending post. In addition to running this blog, I also work on a few other projects during my spare time. You can find links to those, as well as a few other important links associated with Digital Meltd0wn in the menu bar above.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Roky Erickson & The Aliens - The Evil One


As I explained in the previous "Return of the Living Dead (OST)" post, I began my excursions into the underground picking up albums by the artists on that soundtrack and this was the first Roky Erickson album that I owned. Well sort of, that is, I picked up "I Think Of Demons" first which is actually the same album as "The Evil One". The difference is in the addition of two tracks on this release, "If You Have Ghosts" and "Sputnik". So "The Evil One" is even better! The Aliens were definitely Roky's most rockin' band. Full of blistering guitar riffs, catchy hooks, and Erickson's signature lyrical style, these songs were signaled Roky's re-emergence after the 13th Floor Elevators and his stint in a mental hospital. Produced by CCR's Stu Cook, who also plays bass on two of the tracks, this was a dramatic change from the Elevators dreamy psychedelic sound. Satan, zombies, horror movies, and aliens serve as the characters in Roky's songs of this period and, mixed with the heavy rock and roll sound of the Aliens, this album is one of the progenitors of the horror-rock/goth genre. But Roky is not one to be pegged easily and his early rock influences show in songs like "I Walked With A Zombie" and the title track. The blues are also represented in songs like "Two Headed Dog" and "Don't Shake Me Lucifer". Lyrically though, there is no precedent that I know of that can explain his choice of words and subjects. Not to mention the mind-boggling way he fits them all into the chord progressions without missing a beat. I've never tried to explain this album and I'm finding it difficult. Just get it and thank me later.


Track List:
1. Two Headed Dog (Red Temple Prayer)
2. I Think Of Demons
3. Creature With The Atom Brain
4. The Wind And More
5. Don't Shake Me Lucifer
6. Bloody Hammer
7. Stand For The Fire Demon
8. Click Your Fingers Applauding The Play
9. If You Have Ghost
10. I Walked With A Zombie
11. Night Of The Vampire
12. It's A Cold Night For Alligators
13. Mine Mine Mind
14. Sputnik
15. White Faces



Download: Roky Erickson - The Evil One
Download Size: 49MB

1 comments:

Zer0_II said...

Roky's music is perfect for any time of the year, but I am even more enthusiastic to hear it around Halloween time. I can't think of fitting Halloween music without Night of the Vampire coming to mind.